Monday, February 27, 2012

Memoir Rough Draft

                                                                              Coffee Cake Queen
Eating it when it first comes out of the oven is an extraordinary experience. The steam rises, omitting a delightful aroma that will make any mouth water. The gooey pools of cinnamon and brown sugar sit atop a moist, firm cake. Sliding a knife through the warm cake in order to retrieve a piece from the center; which is the most delectable part, is a much anticipated moment. Placing a piece in the mouth and feeling its soft yet crunchy texture as well as its sweet and spicy flavors, creates a wonderful feeling of love and joy. Eating it with tall glass of ice cold milk makes the cake even more enjoyable.

               As far back as I can remember my mother had always made coffee cake on snow days. My mother would get up early and make the family coffee cake for breakfast. So as a child I remember waking up to the smell of the sweet, spicy treat and knowing that there was no school that day. This would automatically create a feeling of over-joy that I could play outside in the snow all day. My mom would make batches and batches of coffee cakes this made the whole house’s aroma smell of sweet sugar and cinnamon. All day I would call her the coffee cake queen sometimes we would play around and we wore dress up crowns. I would be her coffee cake princess.

            I remember running downstairs in my pajamas to grab a piece of coffee cake, but the piece would have to be out of the center since that is where the cinnamon and sugar collected into puddles of sweet heaven. The coffee cake next to the edge of the pan was too crunchy for me so I always left those pieces for my dad, he’d eat anything. I would put my center piece of coffee cake on a small plate, pour myself a glass of milk and run into the living room to watch weekday cartoons. I remember always having to race my dad into the living room to get the god couch where the clicker was so I could pick the shows we would watch.
Every time I beat him, I knew he let me win; that’s my dad and i love him. As I grabbed the remote and scanned through the channels I could see my dad staring at me because he knew I’m going to choose something he doesn’t like. Rugrats, I would choose, he would shake his head and leave the room. I would be eating my coffee cake eating it like a little mouse piece, by piece. Giggling out loud because I was child, obviously I thought everything they said or did was funny. I loved snow days when I was little, that day my mom would always make the best treats, I could be in my pajamas all day, drink hot chocolate and watch Rugrats.
 After a nice day of playing in the snow hearing my mom’s light delicate voice yell out, “Chelsea, time to come in for some hot chocolate.” I’d tell my friend I have to go and that I would see them later. Running towards the door falling because my boots keep getting caught in the high snow, getting to the door and taking off all my wet snow clothes as my mom pours me my hot chocolate. She puts it on the table, as it sits there with nothing around it. I can smell the warm sweetness of the chocolate as I go over to grab the cup but it’s too hot, I blow on it a little and notice the marshmallows floating on top, pretending there boats on the ocean going through a terrible chocolate storm. Everyone had a crazy imagination when they were children.
                To this day I still have dreams of my mom’s old coffee cake, she doesn’t make it anymore. Sadly she has moved on to bigger and better things. Although she tries to make some fancy treats now-a-days, it’s always good to try something new. But nothing will ever be the same as that coffee cake.

1 comment:

  1. Obviously this fits your theme. You do a good job with the sensory details (this subject is really calls for that) of the cake itself, and some good details to recreate the joy of snow days from child's point of view. And I like the title btw.

    I have a little more trouble figuring out the main point here. Certainly I see you're writing to recreate a favorite memory, but I'm not sure what you mean to say *about* this memory and how it might relate to your reader's experience. Maybe you could think about *why* this memory seems so special and what you're trying to communicate to the reader. . What does it represent or illustrate? Do you find any meaning there behind just nostalgia? The title makes me think this main significance has something to do with your mother, something more than just she made that cake??

    Re: usage errors, watch out for run-ons in proofreading.

    ReplyDelete